Thursday, January 23, 2014

AN EMOTIONAL DUEL



     The plague of injustice sweeping through society assaults the emotions like the stench of decaying flesh violating the olfactory senses. Both turn angrily in the pit of one's stomach. A news story from last year underscores this reality.
      On September 20, 2013, gross injustice infiltrated the good citizens of Danville, KY. A violent robbery committed on that day stunned a community, and sabotaged the dreams of a little boy and girl. A vibrant, happy couple filled with the hope of a beautiful future together tragically departed this world. This robber beset with greed, malice, fear, lust and general disregard for life decided to alter someone's earthly future. In fact, three persons have departed this world on his account. Increasingly, we witness acts of senseless violence and gross injustice committed by sin-riddled hearts.
      But, what really punched me in the gut was the remaining part of the story. This young couple, active in ministry, have two children. Even more horrifying, the children were in the store when the shooting occurred. As I paused to pray for these children, thoughts flooded my mind. This precious one year old will never remember the mother who gave birth to her. She will not remember a father who held her and kissed her little tears away. She will never hear the prayers that would have been prayed over her by her parents. Pictures will have to suffice for memory. I tell you that is an injustice.
       Then I thought about the nine year old. He will possess memories, but he will also harbor a tremendous void. All the wrestling, sword fights, games of catch, hugs, tickles and prayers will be missed. He has learned very early that life situations can be brutal and cruel. Will he also learn that God is unceasingly kind and sovereign over his life?
       And then, my mind nearly drowned beneath a cascading waterfall of devastating thoughts. What if my wife and I encountered such a fate? All the things we would miss hit me like vicious jabs from Floyd Mayweather. There wasn't any ducking and diving taking place. Each pounding blow further disoriented my senses. I thought about all the firsts we would miss. I contemplated crucial life moments that we would not get to witness and enjoy. I thought about who would walk my daughters down the aisle one day. Injustice. Grave injustice. At that moment I realized a spiritual battle welling up inside me.
       When faced with tragic injustice, we have many options before us. Two particular options took center stage, bitterness or brokenness. The leading contender for my emotions was the former. Why shouldn't we reach for bitterness? Why should these precious children when they grow older not reach for bitterness? Shouldn't the family and community of Danville wallow in the mire of bitterness? It is after all the road more traveled.
        The biblical example of Job addresses this bitterness and brokenness dichotomy. But another biblical example clamors for attention. Remember King Hezekiah. He led a powerful revival among God's people. Through God's power and aid, the king of Assyria was denied passage into Jerusalem. Life was good. But soon thereafter, Hezekiah's world would experience seismic upheaval. He became mortally ill, and after a visit from the prophet Isaiah, his mind turned the prophet's words over endlessly. "Thus says the Lord, set your house in order, for you shall die and not live." With a wounded psyche, Hezekiah confronted this prevalent dichotomy.
        Hezekiah chose the latter. He lifted his voice before the King of Kings. Tears streamed down his face. Heavy sobs echoed throughout the king's chambers. And God showed up.
        God was not obligated to answer Hezekiah. The Lord is never anyone's patsy. But in His tremendous grace and lovingkindness, He added fifteen years to Hezekiah's life. After his recovery, Hezekiah penned solemn and somber words that reach through the sands of time and cause us to confront the dueling emotions of bitterness and brokenness. We see both sentiments emerge from Hezekiah, but one ultimately silenced the other. Brokenness won the day.
        Even though the atrocity in Danville, KY, has nothing to do with me, I have confronted the shadows lurking in the corners of my heart. I can easily identify with bitterness. I could "justify" my bitterness, for awhile. But, the resultant bitterness in my soul would eat at me like the bubonic plague. In Ephesians 4:31-32, we receive instruction to remove forcibly every ounce of bitterness from our soul. Paul follows this injunction with an imperative toward Christ-likeness exhibited through forgiveness. The choice shifts now toward obedience or disobedience.
        What is needed in my life is a renewed sense of the need for constant brokenness. Terrible injustice fueled by rampant sin should irrigate dried up tear ducts. While my heart goes out to all involved in Danville, especially the children, my heart must descend lower in humility before my God. Break my heart, Lord, with the things that break Yours. Never have those words teemed with more life. I want to be broken over a world in rebellion against her holy, sovereign Creator. I want to weep over sin in my life and among God's redeemed people. I want to cry out desperately over blatant disregard for the sanctity of life. What is within your reach?

No comments:

Post a Comment